Full-Time Legal Assistant
Wildlife Crime Prevention is a Zambian based not for profit organisation that works nationally across Zambia, providing support to the Department of National Parks and Wildlife (DNPW)’s Investigation and Intelligence Units. The main goal of WCP is to coordinate closely with key DNPW personnel and NGOs working within National Parks in Zambia to secure areas of elephant strongholds and key transit routes of illegal wildlife trade.
We are looking for a new legal assistant to join the WCP Wildlife Criminal Justice team. The WCJ team has been following and supporting the prosecutions of wildlife crime prosecutions in Zambia for over a year and wish to expand our team to include a legal assistant based in Mpika, Northern Province, one of the most important areas for our work. This expansion is implemented in partnership with Frankfurt Zoological Society – North Luangwa Conservation Project and with the U.S. Government. This exciting new role will involve working with both DNPW and the National Prosecution Authority (NPA) as well as others to better understand the current application of wildlife legislation in Zambia and improve justice in the wildlife sector in Zambia. legislation in Zambia and improve justice in the wildlife sector in Zambia.
SCOPE OF WORK
The position includes, but not limited to, the following responsibilities:
- Courtroom Assistance
- The legal assistant will be responsible for accessing and collating information and reports from Mpika and the surrounding area on wildlife-crime cases.
- The legal assistant will build relationships within DNPW, NPA and the Judiciary including Registrars and Magistrates.
- The legal assistant will be responsible for analysing data and reporting on
- The legal assistant will be responsible for analysing data and reporting on trends in wildlife crime court cases in order to inform suggested recommendations.
- The legal assistant will be responsible for monitoring high profile wildlife crime cases being conducted throughout the region, attending court, liaising with DNPW officers and NPA advocates.
- Training and Workshops
- The legal assistant will be responsible for organizing and leading training and workshops for partners and relevant personnel where necessary.
- The legal assistant will be responsible for regular activity reporting to the Justice and Awareness Project Manager as well as field based partner Frankfurt Zoological Society – North Luangwa Conservation Project.
- Financial Management
- The legal assistant will be responsible for their own financial management and will be required to submit a monthly expenses account.
REQUIRED SKILLS/ EXPERIENCE REQUIRED SKILLS/ EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor of Laws degree from well-respected Zambian Legal Institution;
- Some experience in litigation or prosecutions preferred;
- Excellent computer skills, specifically in Microsoft office suite, expert proficiency or certification in Microsoft Excel preferred;
- Relevant experience in data collection and wildlife conservation issues preferred;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, analytical research and descriptive reporting experience;
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to identify trends and patterns of information;
- Fluency in English required, additional language skills preferred;
- Exceptional organizational skills, ability to facilitate communication between different locations and ability work independently to meet deadlines.
TERMS AND BENEFITS
A competitive salary will be offered commensurate with qualifications, Project-related expenses incurred will be reimbursed e.g. communications and transport.
How to ApplyPlease send by email a CV and covering letter by COB 30 October 2017 to: Sarah Davies – Justice and Awareness Project Manager Jobs@wildlifecrimeprevention.org Please title your email: “Wildlife Criminal Justice Legal Assistant– Application – YOUR NAME” References are required and full background checks will be carried out. Please do NOT send additional paperwork. Only successful candidates will be contacted by 15 November. Kindly mention you saw this advert on www.ZambianJobsPortal.com
533 total views, 3 today